Thursday, November 1, 2007

What's My Line??




Rrrrollll In Zee Hay!!


Put Ze Candle Beck!!!


Abby somethin'



But I was going to make some Espresso!!!






I have a real quirky habit (alright, more than one) where I tend to recite lines from a movie, or break out in song, whenever something sounds familiar. I'm the only one I know that will be sitting in a bar with some friends, hear the waitress say "We've only just begun cooking your food" and I break out into...Yep...are you hearin' the music now?? Here's a hint...



It's not a habit I can control, and it usually cracks me up quite regularly. It's even better when the person delivering the line gives me the WTF look. It really doesn't take much to amuse me, really...It's really fun to live in my head sometimes. Oops, back to subject.

Recently, a friend of mine asked where this came from (i.e. why must you embarrass me so?) and I guess I have my father to thank. Ever since I can remember, Dad was always reciting lines from his favorite movie of all time, "Young Frankenstein" (Mel Brooks is a friggin genius). If he was telling us to put something away it was "Put zeh candle beck". While he nursed me back from my injuries from my car accident (long story/different blog) he had a knack for hurting me on accident, to which he would always follow up with, "But I was going to make some espresso!" And...please don't even get me started on the Frau Blücher sound effects he would make.

If anyone reads my bio they will find that I am a self appointed SUCK at "Name That Tune". I could even say that I suck worse at "Name That Band". I could sing you an entire song, word for word, and not be able to tell you who sings it or what it's called. It's truly a skill (I know you're jealous).

The ability to quote applicable movie lines and lyrics to songs in a single beat, not my strongest of my Wonder Twin Powers, but a skill nonetheless (The power of knowing the number one song at the time of any one's date of birth was already taken by a guy from college). It's also a genetic skill...my brother is WAY faster and funnier than I am. I consider it a true honor if we end up with the same line at the same time.

Dad would have been 74 last Friday. And as a man who had an uncanny resemblance to Frank Barone (yet another Peter Boyle Character), I can think of no better way to honor his memory than to say...

Poo -- tmmm anngh ma Ritz!












4 comments:

Mrs. G. said...

This is the first movie I remember ROLLING with laughter while watching. I just love Peter Boyle (and I miss him). Your dad sounds like a hoot.

Grandy said...

Dad was a hoot!! He was FOREVER sarcastic (it's no wonder where I got it from). I miss them both (Dad and Peter Boyle). ;)

Suzanne said...

If you can be FROH derick FRAHNK en steen, then I can be EYE gor.

Brilliant movie.

My quotes typically come from Monty Python's Holy Grail, the Princess Bride or When Harry Met Sally, but just about any movie will do.

Grandy said...

Oh yes, Suzanne, my problem definitely covers ALL Mel Brooks movies, Princess Bride (My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die) and all things Cheezy (Go into the light CaroleAnn!)