Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Because we have to be told?


My dear friend who hasn't blogged in F-O-R-E-V-E-R (yeah you Dens) sent me an email today, letting me know that today, October 15, 2008, is Global Handwashing Day.

Yes, my fellow bloggers. It has come to that.

We now have a global day that tells us something that common sense and decency should already be telling us.

Don't worry if you weren't prepared for this day, as they have provided a planning guide. For those that might need a refresher I might suggest Chapter 2, Handwashing with Soap: The Basics.

Now I get that there are some countries that maybe don't readily have the means to wash regularly. Along the same lines, in other places of the world, there are different social standards that maybe don't make this a priority, and I can certainly appreciate why spreading the word on the importance of washing hands (with soap) can be so helpful.

It is not to these countries and societies that I speak to. I'm all for promoting hand washing...with soap. And maybe it's just a Grandy thing.

October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I have learned that it is also Domestic Violence Awareness Month. I'm gearing up for World Diabetes Day on November 14th. And today is also Blog Action Day.

There are so many things that require awareness being raised. It just stumps this Grandy as to why we really need to make a day for Global Handwashing Day.


It reminds me of the warning labels and/or signs you see on things. You know that the only reason these signs are made is because some moron HAS done these things, and maybe sued because of it.


**Hair Dryers: Do not operate in the shower.

Really? We have to tell people to wait until they are done?


**Sunshield for dash of autos: Do not drive with sunshield in place

HUH! I wondered why I couldn't see.


**Health clubs: Please do not spit in the drinking fountain.

Seriously people. This is a sign posted just above the drinking fountain.


**Port-a-pottie: This is NOT a sink.

Ewwwww... Someone actually thought it might be? What did they think the pink disc was, soap?


Hey! There it is!


At least they were washing their HANDS...WITH SOAP!!

26 comments:

Dens said...

You rock, Mar!! I knew you would have something to say about this hand washing day thing. That's why I sent you the email. I totally agree. Why do we have to remind people to wash their hands??
eewwww....

Dens said...

and yes, you're right...I haven't blogged for a long time...bestow your wrath upon me, o queen of the blog...lol

Anonymous said...

Millions of children die each year as the result of diarrhoeal and respiratory infections. Hand-washing with soap could save more lives than any medical intervention.

All right this is mainly in the developing world, and it was intended as such, but have you never seen people leaving toilets without washing their hands? I have. Even in hospitals.

Raising awareness, either of the necessity for hygiene or for the conditions in which many people have to live, never does any harm and may even do some good.

Mariuca said...

Grandy! Good job dearie, in just one night you've made it to my Top Mariucans list! So far so good, now keep it coming! ;)

Mariuca said...

Oh and I'll hush hush abt ur 'lil secret' at MPG he he! ;)

Debbie said...

it has always thrilled me in a restaurant or grocery store when the restroom has a sign that reminds employees that they are required to wash their hands after using the facilities!

Let's not forget, if we are going to remind folks to use soap, that they should wash as long as it takes to sing the alphabet song to truly get clean!

Unknown said...

Wow!! Never heard of Global Handwashing Day! Hehehe.

*sigh* I don't understand either...

Tricia said...

and can I please add the little plaque on oven doors that reads something like, "Don't stand on the oven door or you risk being seriously burned, you foolish person, and if you are foolish enough to stand on the door while the oven is raging at 350 degrees, you're not allowed to sue our company."

October is jam packed with awareness campaigns, more than any other month it seems. I wonder why.

Every day at my house is national wash your hands with soap day, and do it while you count to 30. At least that's what I keep telling my 4-year-old 10 times daily. How do children manage to get so filthy and then try to eat with those hands?

Mike Golch said...

common sence went on vacation years ago and has not returned from it.

Anonymous said...

Let's not forget International Don't Lie in the Street Day and World Come in from the Rain Day.

Both are very important...

Debie Napoleon said...

And how many people have we seen walk out of a public ladies room without handwashing? It's gross that people can do that.

So I always carry a paper towel to open the door. Cos' you never know.

Monica said...

I've never heard of Global Handwashing Day either :-D

Anonymous said...

Thing about these signs and awareness campaigns is that people who are too stupid or pig ignorant to not already be doing the right stuff are not going to be swayed by a sign they probably can’t even read.

Anonymous said...

I gotta go wash my hands...

Momisodes said...

Whoa.

That.is.all.

Joyce-Anne said...

Here I thought I was the only person who was on a hand washing kick. My kids have gotten used to me "reminding" them and don't usually complain about it anymore. Now if they'd just remember to do it themselves...

katydidnot said...

i did not get even one good happy handwashing day present. NOT ONE!

shrink on the couch said...

I remember a work training by a nurse on how to properly wash one's hands. 40 seconds worth of warm water and soap. That was just nuts. If we all washed for 40 seconds everytime we took a pee, we'd never get any work done.

Mariuca said...

Happy weekend Grandy and happy commenting too! :)

Anonymous said...

Grandy this is my 1st visit and 1st comment. I'll add your blog to my favorite list.

Anonymous said...

OH MY, you make me smile so darn much!

I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Grandy said...

Dens~ Thanks for the material girl. You know sometimes I just need a nudge.

OH and the WRATH is being BESTOWED.

A~ Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting...and re-affirming the point I made. I get it...and I have seen it too. Which is what prompted the post.

Mariuca~ WOOT WOOT!! Oh...and it's LJ I was silently rooting for because her Mom's been sick.

Debbie~ This would require these people to KNOW the alphabet.

Jade~ See how much you can learn here in Grandy-Land? Thanks for stopping by!!

Grandy said...

Tricia~ Your comment made me smile because I'm SURE my parents asked the same question about me when I was a kid.

Mike~ Common sense is on its "3-hour tour".

Hawg~ Don't get me started on the "Don't Lie In the Street Day". That is a post for a different day.

NJDecorator~ I have seen too many, and even followed some to see where they go.

Monica~ Welcome! Come back & learn!!

XUP~ True! Right again woman!!

Grandy said...

Chris~ With soap...right?

Sandy~ I.KNOW.

Joyce-Anne~ If only...if only... ::sigh::

Katy~ Really? I thought the ceremonial lego dude came in every bar of soap for the event.

PHD~ NO DOUBT! 40 seconds...well, that's not counting in 1-Mississippi, 2-Mississippi, etc is it?

Mariuca~ Happy Weekend back atcha!!

Bono~ Thanks for stopping by and thanks for adding me. :) Welcome!

Vixen~ Back atcha beautiful!! ;)

Mrs. F said...

We had hand washing class when I worked at Bel Air. It was actually part of our training.

I have been washing my hands regularly, but mostly because I have to in order to put the Compund-W on my gross finger. Yeah, I said it. I have a wart.

Grandy said...

Mrs. F~ It's ok that you said it...we all get them. ;)