Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Opening Night

Well folks, tomorrow night is the big night.

Ty has been rehearsing for MONTHS!! Seriously, since returning to school after the new year they have been rehearsing two and three times a week.

It's time...for the MAY PLAY...

His school is putting on a rousing performance of


Yep! The little Grandy is making his full fledged acting debut as Deputy Dudley Doowrong. He's done skits before, and does many in the scouts, but this is his first full-length play.

He's so nervous and excited. He's one of those perfectionists that wants to make sure everything is just right and everyone enjoys the show (I have NO idea where he gets that from).

Since I got my degree in theatre arts, and used to work for a children's theatre where I would teach children to perform a musical, I was thinking I might finally have some advice to offer him to calm his nerves.

The following is the highlight of our conversation:

1) Mom, what if they laugh at me?
Honey, if they're laughing at you then you're doing it right. Your character is a DOLT!! You just go out there and be the best DOLT and make them laugh.

2) I'm SO SCARED!!
That's alright, they don't know what it's supposed to look like, JUST HAVE FUN!!

3) What if I screw up?
No one will know but you. Keep it going and HAVE FUN. You've worked way to hard not to enjoy it now.

Final words of wisdom?

~ Speak loud enough so they can hear you in the back...think of it as you're yelling "WHAT" from the back room because you didn't want to come when I called you.
~ Go potty BEFORE they call places.
~ If you feel like you have to pee just before going onstage(even if you just went), totally normal.

I'll be back to report my completely biased critique after opening night.

21 comments:

Testuser said...

I hope you videoed it as we're going to want to see the little guy's performance! We won't know if he messed up either, so don't tell us.

Great words of advice!

ê¿ê

dkuroiwa said...

Great advice!! But...for me...the most important one of all that someone told me....BREATHE!!! If you don't, you are liable to pass out and then they will have to stop the play for the ambulance to come and get you and then the audience will get fidgety and it's hard to get that kind of an audience back!!! (my dad told me this in highschool!!!)

Tell your young man to "break a leg"!!!
Looking forward to pictures and report back!!!

Kelly O said...

Cool! Good luck to the little man.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I'm sure he'll be great. Have fun.

Michele said...

How exciting for 'little Grandy'! You sound like my mom. She always tells me when I sing, if I mess up, just keep going. Most people don't even know when you mess up! It's amazing. Since I've followed her advice, I've had people come tell me how beautiful the song was and how I sang it perfectly. Er, unless they're lying... :-)

Best wishes to Ty!

*hugs to you, proud momma!*

*smiles*
Michele

Anonymous said...

Great advice! You should copyright your words of advice. They're humorous but are so dead on.

Tina Coruth said...

Grandy,

Sounds like great advice! I look forward to reading your review! :-)

Tina

Anonymous said...

Aaaa just remembering my days on the stage..the throw up feelings..nerves..bright lights. I'd get up there and do it again in a minute!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Can't wait to hear how the show went!!

XUP said...

I predict you're going to cry. I always do when mine performs in public. I don't know why. Gushing pride maybe. Can't wait to hear the reviews

Mike Golch said...

I hope that you tape it I would like this this as well.
Now for the next piece of "business"
Krissey over at firecrakermamma gave you a big pat on the back.

Melissa said...

"Keep Going" and "no one else will know it's wrong but you" -great words.

Anonymous said...

Yay! I can't wait to hear your review.

And, how exciting your guy is carrying on the Grandy tradition. I'm sure he did an amazing job, biased or not.

Those moments just before the curtain opens...you totally took me back there. I need to potty. :-)

Anonymous said...

So how did the performance go?

Did you video tape it?

Cindy said...

Can't wait to see the pictures!

Grandy said...

Margaret~ I don't have a video camera... :(

dk~ Oh...I forgot the breathe part.

Kelly~ Thanks mama!

Jenn~ It was a blast!

Michelle~ I'm sure you sing beautifully.

Chris~ I should look into that for sure. Don't know how. ;)

Tina~ Workin' on that review and hope to have the pics in soon.

MP~ Me too.

April~ Welcome back!! How was the honeymoon.

Grandy said...

XUP~ I did...but quietly.

Mike~ I'll have to go check it out.

Melissa~ Thanks wise woman.

Curb~ did you go yet?

Chris~ It was wonderful...but I'll write about it soon.

Cindy~ I'll have to get those in here soon. :)

Debbie said...

I am anxious to see how it all went.

Anonymous said...

I hope that you have an enjoyable time.

Anonymous said...

Wow, this so brings back all the years my son was in drama programs. He loved it, and I miss it!

I hope little Grandy did well..can't wait to hear about it! :)

Grandy said...

Debbie~ thanks for your patience, hope you like the review.

Mike~ You've MOVED??

Glam~ Brings me back too. ;)