Thursday, July 17, 2008

Relinquishing my card

Remember how Grandy saved the day for those 14 boys? Remember my 2 extra credit points I earned for busting my butt and getting those boys to a new camp within hours?


Well...take those points back because Ty called me on Tuesday to say he had a tummy ache. No vomit, no other discharges, no fever. Grandy tells him to rest, have some sprite, and call me later.

Seriously? Grandy could not let him come home for a "tummy ache". He was so looking forward to it!! Maybe he could just nap it off.

Well, he ended up getting checked out yesterday in the morning by one of the leaders. They brought him down, and we took him to the doctor. Doctor sends us to the ER because she's worried about his appendix.

The ER doc wasn't overly concerned about the appendix. In fact, he wasn't concerned at all. What was funny? All the questions they asked my boy about his poo.

You read that right...he was very confused as to why there was SO much interest in his poop habits.

1. When was the last time you went?
2. Was it hard?
3. What color was it?
4. When was your last Bowel Mooooovement? (he just winced)

Have you ever sat in a room while a 12 year old tries to figure out the answers to these?

1. Went last night.
2. Not that hard...but my tummy hurt.
3. I went in an outhouse and didn't look...wouldn't know which was mine.
4. What's THAT?!?

Good times indeed.

So, we're on "Watch the Belly Watch 2008" at the moment. Liquid diet, rest, and back to the doctor.

I guess I shouldn't have tried to talk him in to staying?

Ugh...I'll temporarily relinquish my Mommy Card now.

18 comments:

Nora said...

You did great! Just hope he doesn't read your blog... :-)

Suzanne said...

Aw, you didn't know. I've done that before. I didn't take the complaining seriously, then got the call from the school nurse.

Hope Ty feels better soon.

Mrs. F said...

Oh, you are being silly! How were you supposed to know that he was furr real? I sent my boy to school last year with an ear infection because I thought he was just copying his sissy. Turns out that they both had ear infections. Oops.

Anonymous said...

We just went through that appendix thing..even though there may be pain in the center it can still be the appendix. They really don't know until they draw blood and look at the white count..then they would follow up w/ a CT Scan.. usually they have a bit of a temp too. When we were at the hospital the docs and nurses would talk to him in 8 year old terms.. Poop was a word used quite often. I think only my mother still calls it a BM.

Brigitte Ballard said...

You never know... my kids will complain and then five minutes later go jump on the tramp. The one day I DO send them to school when they complain they end up puking.

If you lose your card... I need to lose mine as well.

Anonymous said...

Poor thing...hope he feels better soon!!

Momisodes said...

Don't beat yourself up. You can never predict these things. I hope all things up and he feels better soon.

Anonymous said...

As a matter of fact I’ve sat in a room at least 4 times a year for the last 5 years while my child answers those and many other more embarrassing questions about poo-related topics. I don’t know why they continue to embarrass her, but they do. I hope your boy’s okay. And hang on to your card. You certainly don't want to be one of those moms that drags junior to the emergency every time he sneezes.

Joyce-Anne said...

Keep those points, lady! You still saved the day for all of the boys. And, you never could have predicted that Ty would get sick.

I hope Ty and you are feeling better soon.

Debbie said...

seems to me you now have the real mommy card. What mom hasn't thought the kid was playing the sympathy card?

I walk that line constantly. My son has a condition that can cause the need for a blood transfusion if he gets so much as a cold. He knows that and so I have to watch closely to be sure it is real and not "I want to get out of giving my presentation today".

At this point, I know the ER docs on a first name basis and they check with me before planning anything (including their family vacations)!

Anonymous said...

parenthood is all about the poo, isn't it? and it never ends.

hoping everyone is feeling better!

Travis Cody said...

Well, in your defense, how could you know? Kids get tummy aches, and 10 minutes later they are back to eating hot dogs and candy.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Flashing back to the time I was rushed by ambulance to the hospital for a presumed appendicitis (I was doubled over and screaming in pain). Turns out I just needed to have, ahem, a bowel movement!

That happened when I was 12; you better believe the first questions I ask my kids when their stomachs hurt is "when was the last time?"

I hope he's better soon.

storyteller said...

Ya know what they say about ‘the best laid plans’ … I do hope it proves to be nothing too serious!
Hugs and blessings,

Grandy said...

Nora bee~ He does, but by the time he's up for it, it will have rolled to archives.

Suzanne~ Doesn't it always work out that way?

Mrs. F~ Ooops!! :)

MP~ Blood test (check), CT (check), Appendix (jury's still out).

Bridge~ I'm there with you.

April~ No change yet, but we're hoping.

Sandy~ Still crossing my fingers & toes.

XUP~ Yep...there's that. I don't think I'll be doing that.

Joyce-Anne~ Me too. So VERY tired.

Grandy said...

Debbie~ Oh my! You do have it dialed in now don't you? Sounds like it could take quite a toll on you. I'm sorry.

wreke~ Yes... poo... it's how we live. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Travis~ You're not kidding.

Jenn~ Glad it wasn't more serious...just the poo thing.

storyteller~ Thank you!!

eastcoastlife said...

Oops... I shouldn't laugh, but this was what happened to my son when he was admitted to hospital for acute abdominal pains.

We were there the whole morning today, going through another lab test.... he developed rashes after an injection and was under observation for an hour. I'm exhausted too.

Tina Coruth said...

I hope he is all better soon!!!