Friday, July 11, 2008

A Buck Fifty

You know the saying, a buck-o-five soaking wet? Well...who the heck wants to be that tiny? My SON isn't even that little.

A Buck Fifty...that would be a good goal weight, I suppose. I'm not really here to talk about my a$$ size at the moment though. It's just what came to mind when I wrote the title.

Is anyone curious what I'm talking about?? Is this a common thing with you, or is it just me?

Ok, I'll give you a hint...

This post is my 150th post on my blog since I started in October 2007. How very exciting to have written to you all 150 times. Sick of me yet?

My goal? By my 200th post, that I have 100 readers a day. Too ambitious? Does anyone remember my 100th Post with 100 Linky Lovin'? Yeah, Grandy was definitely needing to put the peace pipe down for that one. I was bound and determined to get 100 comments in, not in one day but in 2 1/2 days, and I was NOT going to try that any time soon. That was a lot of work too.

If I'm going to have that many readers, and I'm not too far off, I'm going to need some pointers from you pros as to how you get people to stop and comment. I'd ask Mrs. G. but she's still on her R&R with her family right now. That woman is awesome and has a great following.

So, give it some thought for me. Should I do a giveaway? Does it work to bribe people to come to your site? If I mention "bribe" and "popularity" in the same post where I reference my son, will that set off any Uh-Oh moments?

See, Grandy has come a long way from the "Hello??? Is anyone there?" comments in her blogs. She's very excited about all the readers she's met along the way...and can't wait to catch up on more.

You all think about it, while I spend the next two days trying to get 14 boys to a boy scout camp NOT in the area they were scheduled to attend Sunday. Due to all the fires, the camp has been evacuated and will be closed.

Grandy can do this... She can?... She's HOSED!

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your comment of what works for you in getting readers.

18 comments:

Mrs. F said...

OMG...was your son at Camp Lassen, too? My brother was there and called my parents at 3am on (um, I am so forgetful) Wednesday (?) to come pick him up from the local church...crazy stuff.

Also, if you figure out how to get more readers, let me know...I know some of my readers come from doing Wordless Wednesday and other blog carnivals.

Anonymous said...

You inspired an entire blog post today. :-) Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

give advice! I always figure that since my actual blogging time is so sporadic, that my readership will never grow. But then, in the past 6 months I've met many lovely people (like you!). How? NaBloPoMo helped. When I committed to it in Nov last year, I also committed to checking out others participating and I just started dropping comments.
I think mrs. f is right about participating in other bloggy events too.
Happy 150!

Mike Golch said...

Grandy,Congrats on the 150th posting. I only have been at blogging since Dec 2007 and I'm closing in on my 400th post counting the videos that I let do the takling for me at times.
Big Time Hugs and Blessing! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Momisodes said...

Woohoo! Congrats on 150 :)

I don't really have much good advice since my traffic is...."eh"

I will say that I like to visit as many people on my blogroll as possible, comment back (when I can), and participate in meme's. Days that I do Wordless Wednesdays and Thursday 13's tend to bring new eyes to my blog and in turn brings me to new blogs to read :)

Suzanne said...

Congrats on 150!

I was happy to hit the goal of 50, which comes and goes. You're much wittier-sending some readers your way and hoping they see how darn funny you are and stick around!

Anonymous said...

Blog traffic - I'm no help there. I can hold my precious few in the palm of my hand, but they're a loyal bunch and I love 'em/you.

150 posts...good goin'.

Joyce-Anne said...

Hooray on making it to 150!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

The advice that's worked for me is comment, comment, comment. I try to connect with people who share similar sensibilities to mine.

I'm stuck at about 125 readers and 30-40 comments most days. I was elated when it first got that high (I started Christmas Day 08), but now I want more . . . it's a total sickness!

Anonymous said...

hmmm.... I'd say what has worked for me is responding to each comment and also visiting other blogs and commenting on them. I share my heart and try to create a warm, welcoming, friendly community. I think I'm achieving that. Like you're not? ;-)

*smiles*
Michele

Grandy said...

Mrs. F~ Son was scheduled to go to Lassen. I'm so sorry your brother got evacuated. What's a blog carnival?

MP~ I'll have to go see how I inspired you, miss 500 posts.

Trees~ I did NaBloPoMo in November TOO. I think that's how you found me (lucky me).

Mike~ You have far surpassed me, that's for sure.

Sandy~ You are a commenting goddess lady!!!

Suzanne~ You're very sweet for saying so. I really like your site too. :)

Dee~ I'm faithful to my drunk squirrel, I am. ;)

Jenn~ It is a sickness. I am amazed at your commenters.

Michele~ I can't think of anyone more welcoming than you. :)

Travis Cody said...

Congrats on 150 posts!

**tossese confetti & flaming walnuts**

As to how to get more readers, some of the blogs I visit do the Entrecard thing, and they swear by it for increasing traffic. You might check that out if you haven't already.

Jennifer S said...

A buck fifty is my goal weight. (give me a moment, to stop crying...)

Congratulations on your 150th post!

I don't have much advice on the comments, only that the more I comment, the more I get in return. When I go a week without being caught up on my reading and commenting, my comments tend to slip a bit.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could give you an advice. I'm still a baby in the blogging world compare to you.

Here's one thing though, I love your witticism...

Grandy said...

Travis~ I'm one of those people with Entrecard, silly. See my ad over there? Oh yea...flaming walnuts?

Jennifer~ Good thought. I have been slipping a bit in that regard. I'm on my way.

Chris~ Thanks!! You're no baby though. :)

Tina Coruth said...

Grandy,

Congratulations! As far as numbers go, I don't have a large or anywhere near large following. I did stumble on something that brought a lot (for me, that is) of new readers and posters. Skywatch Friday. I saw it on Storyteller's blog and since I am a skywatcher, I decided to participate. I post two photos and got to look at a bunch of really great sky photos. A lot of the other skywatchers dropped by! I don't know if this helps, but it sure amazed me!

Tina

Mrs. F said...

A blog carnival is what they called the post I did on April 29th, where everyone writes on a specific topic (on april 29th I wrote the "How I met My Honey" post) and then links back to the main person who started it and the can put a Mr. Linky so that others can go visit your story. Um, I sound stupid.

Grandy said...

Tina~ Skywatch Friday, huh? I'll have to check itout.

Mrs. F~ You DON'T sound stupid at all. You're awesome!! :)