Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Nature v. Nurture

Alright, this is my first official pre-written post.I'm going to see if I do this right, and schedule it to post at noon on Tuesday. If it works right...I'll be spacing in some other posts while I'm gone for the holiday (hopefully providing some sort of entertainment but making no promises).


As I sat at dinner with my boys last night, yes I'm including Hubby, I was stopped dead in my tracks about their similarities. Never mind they were both wearing the same sweatshirt (Go Placer) and hats. Their mannerisms were amazingly similar. I watch them and they are SO MUCH ALIKE!!!


Now, back when I only had 2 readers I may have mentioned that Hubby adopted Ty when we had been married 6 months. We had been together quite some time before that, but Hubby is the only Dad that Ty has ever known. I may vent from time to time, but I wouldn't have it any other way, let me tell you.


We started dating when Ty was 3 1/2, we actually met through this little guy. At the time, Hubby worked as a maintenance man at the same large company I worked at. The facility had an on-site day care, and when this company thought it would be brilliant to offer "extended hours", I was forced to have Ty in the day care until 8:30 pm. It wasn't all that bad, mind you. He was the ONLY kid there!! Well, that's when Hubby would make his rounds and rescue Snoopy from the toilet and fix whatever the kids broke that day, later in the evening. He used to let Ty follow him around and ask the perpetual "Whatchya doin? Why?? What for?? Why? Huh? Why??" ***Pssst*** Don't tell anyone, but years later I learned that Hubby had told the ladies at this day care that if he ever had a kid, he'd want one like Ty.


Well one day I'm dropping Ty off at the day care, Hubby comes walking up and says, "Hi Tyler, is this your Mom??" "Yep, this is my Mommy...Her name is Mawy" (yes, he had issues with his "r"s) "Mawy...I mean Mommy...this is aawon". That's my favorite quote ever!!!We didn't start dating right away. Shortly after meeting, Ty got pretty sick and was in and out of the hospital for a short time. I was new to my job and couldn't afford to miss too much. I would spend hours at the hospital and then go to work. Thank goodness for my sister, who at the time didn't work and lived 2 doors down from me. Every time I saw hubby during that time he would ask me, "Hey, Tyler's Mom! Is Tyler ok?" How nice is that? There were 1200 people in these buildings, 12 maintenance men, and he would ask about MY SON.


When the dust settled...about six months later...I asked him out. I remember the day I realized I should vividly. It was a Saturday (yes the company thought that would be "brilliant" also) and he came running by me by the elevators. Helmet under his arm and leather jacket in the other. "Hey Tyler's Mom!! Is he here today??" he asked. "He sure is!" I replied. "Great! I'll have to go see him." As he ran through the security doors, I watched him and thought to myself, "I will be with that man".


Now, you have to know me to understand that at that moment I didn't fully understand to what capacity I would be with him...just that I would. I asked him out a week later...and the rest is, well...you know...destiny.

11 comments:

Momisodes said...

Awwww! what a lovely story :) Isn't it amazing how much children will resemble their parents?

And the "Helmet under his arm and leather jacket in the other...." like out of the movies!

Michele said...

Well, Sandy beat me to my one word response!

I'll say it anyway: aaaaaaww!!!

Thanks so much for sharing! This is just fuzzy wuzzy nostalgic :-)

Smiles,
Michele

Thanks for planning ahead so we don't go into Grandy withdrawal!

Karen H. said...

Good Evening Grandy,
Let me join in with everyone else in saying Awwww. What a beautiful Love Story. I love to read things like this. It is just touching. When I first met my hubby, the first thing that grabbed me was his beautiful Sky Blue Eyes. My heart just melted. I said to myself there is no way I will have a chance with this guy. LOL. Lo and behold, we dated for a month and then he asked me to marry him. Then, 2 months later we got married. We will be married 13 years this coming March. Even after almost 13 years together, I am still very much in Love with him. We act like teenagers when we go out. We hold hands and he puts his arm around me and gives me a kiss on the cheek. I still feel like we are newlyweds. He says our Honeymoon will never end. I sure hope not. LOL. Well, "THANK YOU" for sharing such a beautiful story with us. I enjoyed it so much. Take care my friend and have a great evening. May God Bless You and Yours.

Hugs,
Karen H.

Grandy said...

Thank you for the Aaaawwwww comments ladies.

Kelly O said...

*sniff* That was insanely sweet.

Karen H. said...

Good Morning Grandy,
I know you are long gone, LOL, but I just wanted to let you know that I have another award waiting for you on my today's post. I hope you are having a good time. Take care my friend and have a great Thursday. May God Bless You and Yours.

Hugs,
Karen H.

Linda said...

That is soooo perfect! Wow! Oh, and just so I'm not the only one who didn't say it... Awwwwww!

Karen H. said...

Good Evening Grandy,
I'm just stopping by to wish you and yours a "MERRY CHRISTMAS" from our Family. I don't know if you have a computer there with you, but you will see this when you get back anyway. LOL. Take care my friend and have a great evening. I hope you are enjoying your trip and taking lots of pictures with that new camera. Can't wait to see them all. May God Bless You and Yours.

Hugs,
Karen H.

Mrs. G. said...

I love romantic stories as much as all these other pretty ladies. Particularly the kind about sweet men who love children. Sigh.

storyteller said...

I love stories like this! Reminds me of the line (from Mission Impossible perhaps?) "I love it when a plan comes together." This union was clearly meant to be and how wonderful for Tyler to be the one to create the link initially. I hope you're having a wonderful time and look forward to the entertaining stories you'll have to share.
Hugs and blessings,

Mrs. F said...

Wow, what a cool story!

Also, I think it says a lot about a man who adopts a child that is not biologically his own. Sounds like you got yourself a keeper, eh Mawy!