Sunday, December 9, 2007

I C more of U

No, I have not been gone as a result of the writer's strike (just in case you were wondering).

I am pleased to report that my sister has made it through her surgery and is doing quite well. She's absolutely AMAZING!! It's been a long week all the way around, and I am sorry I have had no time, energy, or mental capacity to post on my blog. I have thought about so many of you, though...not much else to do while sitting in ICU waiting. I could have used some of my Mrs. G, my dee/otc, and Michele. My Funny, Crazy and Inspirational blogging buds (in that order I might add).

And so many of you other awesome bloggers. Thank you!! I have had some new visitors to this sight, and feel remiss that I have not been able to visit. I will catch up, I promise!!! :)

That being said, I thought I would share with you a few anecdotes about the hospital that I experienced this week...Enjoy...

1) For the first couple of days, it's probably not safe to leave large bread crumbs on the floor so you can find your way back to the parking garage. Rather, just strategically place stickies on the wall...no one will notice...really! (Not that I tried this myself)

2) Go potty BEFORE you go into the ICU. See, if you have to go while you're there (which I had to do frequently) then you have to ring to get back in. My favorite was at 3am on Friday/Saturday when I got up to go, no one else is around really as it's not one of the heavy traffic times, and when I rang to get back in, the lady says, "I'm sorry, who are you??" Seriously? I just walked by your desk going to the bathroom, and have been here ALL NIGHT!! I'm the one who complimented YOUR HAIR!! But alas, it was 3am...I refrained from sarcasm and explained who I was...again.

3) Tripping over stuff CAN be hazardous to your health AND your pride. I'm a bit clumsy (I think I've mentioned this) and was the joke of the unit because it seemed like whenever I turned, I was kicking a ventilator machine, tripping on a cath tube, or something stupid. I never hurt my sister, other than causing her, the unit, and any family member in the room to laugh at me again. Laughing is healthy though, so I am glad I could help with that.

4) You can learn a lot from the families in the ICU waiting room. There were some wonderful people in there. What is it about being in there, having somewhat of a common bond, that people are so open?? We helped one young lady melt at the idea that her mom would not make it out, prayed with her, and saw her released from ICU by morning. There was another amazing woman there with her son, we cried together as she received the news he would not make it.

5) Nurses are more important than Doctors!!!! I know the doctors come in, wave their magic wand pens, and give orders to help heal you. But it's the nurses that CARE for the patients. They answer questions, give you the meds, bring your meals, hold your hand and hand you a tissue when you cry. They push you out of bed to get you strong, and help you back to get you rest. They help the family understand and help the patients cope.

Thank you to ALL nurses!!!!

15 comments:

Karen H. said...

Good Afternoon Grandy,
"PRAISE GOD" your Sister came thru the surgery and is doing so well. I am so happy for you and her as well. It is such a relief when one's surgery is over with and knowing everything is going to be just fine. Hospitals do bring people together. They have so much in common. I'm glad yall was able to help someone else there as well. That was a Blessing from God. I'm sorry that the one wasn't going to make it tho. But, God does have plans for him and will take good care of him. I haven't posted today but will tomorrow. I plan on sharing some pictures with everyone. Well, take care my friend and have a great evening. May God Bless You and Yours.

Hugs,
Karen H.

Unknown said...

Glad you're back, Grandy, and that all is well with your sister! Woo hoo!

Thanks for updating, and for sharing your hospital comedy ;0)

Smiles,
Michele

Oh... glad you liked my ABC's!

Suzanne said...

Hi, Mary. Glad to hear your sister is doing well. You are absolutely right, nurses are what keep things together.

You just had some "pay it forward" moments there in the ICU this week.

dee/otc said...

So very glad to hear everything went smoothly for your sister. I sense a sushi girls night out when she's back on her feet.

Linda said...

I'm so glad your sister's surgery went well! I loved the part about how close you get in the ICU waiting room - how true! So many emotions come to the surface in a hospital and you made that so clear in your post from the funny to the spiritual! Welcome back - I love reading your posts!

storyteller said...

I'm glad your sister is doing well and I'll keep you both in my prayers. Reading your observation of sitting in the ICU brought back vivid memories ... especially about my mom just before she died, and a dear friend who recovered but was never the same. It's amazing how close you get to other folks waiting to hear about their loved ones ... people you'll probably never see again but with whom you share something memorable and difficult to describe unless you've been there & done that.
Hugs and blessings,

Grandy said...

Thank you to EVERYONE for your thoughts and prayers!!!!

Karen~ I liked your pics from the parade.

Michele~ Hospital Comedy...that's fun to say together because you wouldn't normally put those together.

Suzanne~ I've not seen that movie, but definitely understand the premise behind it.

Dee~ You're so dead on with the Sushi in my future with her. ;)

Linda~ Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm glad you like. :D

Storyteller~ Unfortunately, I've been there done that too many times. The nurses keep asking me if I'm in the medical profession...Nope...just a professional patient and/or visitor.

Mrs. G. said...

I am so glad that your sister is doing well and that you are back. Good one about the writer's strike...you are always good for a laugh.

Um, should I end up in the ICU, will you please not come near my ventilator machine and trip. I might need it...to keep me breathing.

Grandy said...

Mrs. G~ I promise, should you end up in the ICU...I will not kick the ventilator, unless it's not working. ;)

BipolarLawyerCook said...

Glad your sister is doing well, and thank you for sharing what your open eyes and open heart observed at the ICU. Laughter and love are the best medicines.

Grandy said...

Thanks Bipolar!! I appreciate your kind thoughts.

Momisodes said...

I'm so glad to hear your sister pulled through her surgery.

Thank you so much for directing me to this post. This made my day! No, my week. Wait, really my year :) Reading stories like this just reaffirms my passion for my career...thank you :)

Grandy said...

No Sandy, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

Grandy said...

Well Roxanne, thank you for stopping by and reading. :)