Wednesday, December 31, 2008

See Ya Suck-It 2008 - Let's Ring Bring-It 2009

Well ladies and gents, the time has come to officially let 2008 KISS MY ASS pass through, like sands through the hour glass. As I look back on the past year, I feel truly blessed to have survived with my sanity in tact...or at least barely in tact.

SUCK-IT 2008 did not suck for me because of the economy of the world, gas prices, or the outcome of any proposition election decisions made. Let's face it, I have no control over those things, so I'm determined not to let it affect my mood. It may sound Polly-anna like, but trust me, I have to try and stay positive.

SUCK-IT 2008 has sucked for the following reasons:

1) December 2007 wrapped up the year with a glorious trip to Mexico with the family, which I have often referred back to, fantasized about returning. However, the trip was still in the midst of my sister's open heart surgery and so that was how we rang in the new year.

2) When this blog began in October 2007, I was on a "medically-induced sabbatical". I returned in November 2007. January was when my health started to decline again, and the pressures of work started to wear on me.

3) March saw my first major surgery of the year. 3 weeks into my recovery, I was on the road again with my sister, to show our love and support for a dear sweet aunt. What a year this woman had. She is so strong, and we truly love her.

4) In April, Grandma's health start to decline. She had taken a nasty fall in March, and it got worse as she began to lose her will. She ultimately lost her fight in May. Miss you lady!!

5) July, August, September, October, November and December saw the Grandy family dealing with health issues with the youngest Grandy.

6) October saw my 2nd major surgery, after dealing with significant pain through August and September, partnered with extensive painful testing throughout.

7) Sprinkled in throughout the year saw two brother-in-law lay-offs, one brother-in-law major back surgery and pain (my heart breaks for them and I pray he will recover soon), more health scares for sister with the heart surgery, friends laid off, "acquisition" at work, dying pets in the family, and a partridge in a f*cking pear tree.

There were some high spots in 2008, and I tried very hard to focus on those here. I never intended to be about pages and pages of "woe-is-me-isms". Instead, I prefer more and more "Grandy-isms".

So...am I ready to say good-bye to 2008? You BET!!
That's why I'm ready for "BRING-IT 2009"!!

Who's with me?????

I only have one New Year's Resolution...Not to require anesthesia for the year. It can be done... I know it!



23 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Yeah, I know about sucky years. Mine started with my sister dying and ended with my car being broken into. 2009 has got to be better.

I hope so, for my sake and yours. Happy New Year!

Mike Golch said...

Grandy,suck years just plain stink. I hope that 2009 is much better all around. Happy New Year my friend.

Anonymous said...

As you know Grandy, 2008 sucked for me too so I am READY for 2009 to Bring It!

Cheers to the New Year, dear. Be safe and have fun!

Suzanne said...

Hey, I can relate. (In my case, I'm rooting for anesthesia, because it means I've made it to Hawaii and a leg repair).

Have a Happy new year. Let's kick 2008 to the curb like yesterday's garbage.

Christina said...

On the Mother Talks site I read, Suck It 2008 was declared sometime back in May I think? At any rate, while I was not as mire in it as many of my friends, I definitely shared their pain and supported them all through plenty. So I am with you. Bring it On 2009!

Mrs. G. said...

I've got big hopes for 2009 too!

Renie Burghardt said...

Well, 2008 wasn't too bad for me, except the gas prices! But I'm ready for the new year, and will eat lots of turnip or collard greens, to bring more money my way in 2009! LOL. Who knows, it might work.

Happy New Year Grandy Lady!

Hugs, and blessings for the new year,

Renie

Anonymous said...

I hear ya, sistah. While we were blessed with good health here and super awesome twins appearing on the scene, many other parts of 2008 can suck my stinky butt. You hear that, 2008? Suck the stinkiest, unshowered part of MY BUTT! Oh, don't make that face, 2008. You earned it.

Happy New Year, doll! I'm rooting for your year free of anesthesia.

Momisodes said...

Oh Grandy, it has been one helluva of year hasn't it? I am so glad to see 2008 end as well. I hope the new year brings you and your family happiness, health and anesthesia-free days.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Grandy!

*smiles and hugs*
Michele

Hey, ya can follow me at Twitter! It's the coolest. ;-)

@MicheleTune

Mariuca said...

I hope things look up for u in 2009 dear Grandy! Lotsa love and hugs from Malaysia. :):):)

Kristin - The Goat said...

I know what you mean. My husband was sick the entire year of 2005 & pretty much all of 2004, but 2005 overshadowed 04. He finally had a liver transplant Dec 23rd, 2005. We spent 2006 keeping him alive. We had 7 months of absolute hell and then it was like a switch was flipped and he was feeling great. We haven't had any more surgeries, health problems or crazy weird diseases since the flipped switch.

I went into 2007 with the same attitude you have --- Done with that, lets have a better year!

I hope you and all that you love will have a happy healthy year.

Anonymous said...

And I thought my year sucked.

I hope that 2009 brings you and your family only good things, Grandy! You are a positive light in the world, and so deserve the best. :)


xxo
nicole

Anonymous said...

The year that's just finished was the worst of my life. Let hope for the better.

storyteller said...

I certainly hope 2009 is a better year for you and yours!
Hugs and blessings,

Anonymous said...

Last year was not the worst for me but it sucked pretty badly, certainly the last half. 04 and 06 were much worse and '92 was the ultimate worst. And I suspect there will be other bad ones out there. I'm seeing a pattern of even numbered years here. Do you see it? This new year has to be better since it's an odd year and we don't have to watch anymore election commercials.

I hope 2009 is the best for your and your family!

LadyJava said...

Hi Grandy..
2008 wasn't that bad for me.. in fact there were first experiences that I loved and would definitely go through again - minus my own surgery in January..

I hope 2009 picks up for you ya..

Here's to a joyous, prosperous, healthy and loving 2009!

Hugs all around
LJ

Grandy said...

Jenn~ Oh I didn't know about the car, but I did know of your sister. I am sorry.

Mike~ Thanks so much!!

Vixen~ Woot WOOT!! BringIt!!!

Suzanne~ I'm crossing my fingers for the leg fixin'. :)

Christina~ RIGHT ON GIRLIE!!

Grandy said...

Mrs. G~ YAY!! I have good feeling things will come to your world.

Renie~ {hugs} back at yaa, lovely lady!!

Dee~ You slay me. You AND the unshowered part of your butt!

Sandy~ Back at you dear lady. :)

Michele~ You're on twitter now too?

Grandy said...

Mariuca~ Things will look up for me, I feel it!

Kirby~ That's amazing! I'm so thrilled that the switch was flipped!!

Nicole~ You are so very sweet! Thank you, and happy new year.

JC~ Here Here!!

Dory~ It did suck ass! ;) Happy New Year!!

Grandy said...

Storyteller~ Thank you for all your support throughout the year.

Jen~ Actually, not sure about the even year thing (for all even years) but was definitely noticing a trend in years that end in 4 and 8. Hmmmmmm......

LJ~ Here's to that!!

Mrs. F said...

Bring-It 2009!

Happy New Year!

Woooohoooooo!

Grandy said...

F-Woman~ WOOHOOOOO is RIGHT!!