Friday, February 8, 2008

Something to Think About

Has anyone seen this article? I don't know if it's real or not, but it's definitely a great reminder that it's just NOT WORTH IT!!


Enjoy!!! TGIF!!!



***If you are having difficulty reading it, it says:

From the New York Times: Bosses of a publishing firm are trying to work out why no one noticed that one of their employees had been sitting at his desk for five days before anyone asked if he was feeling okay. George Turkelbaum, 51, who had been employed as a proof-reader at a New York firm for 30 years, had a heart attack in the open-plan office he shared with 23 other co-workers. He quietly passed away Monday, but nobody noticed until Saturday morning when an office worker asked why he was working during the weekend. His boss, Elliot Washioski said, "George was always the first guy in each morning, and the last to leave at night, so no one found it unusual that he was in the same position all that time and didn't say anything. He was always absorbed in his work and kept much to himself." A post mortem examination revealed that he had been dead for five days after suffering a coronary. George was proof-reading manuscripts of medical textbooks when he died. You may want to give your co-workers a nudge occassionally. The moral of the story: Don't work too hard. Nobody notices anyway.

15 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I snoped it, and it's false. It does make you think though . . .

Karen H. said...

Good Evening Grandy,
I have never heard of this or read about if before. Even if it isn't true, it could happen tho. Some people are workaholics. They don't know anything else. Life passes them by. It's always good to stop and smell the coffee or roses from time to time. I hope to get back to my regular posting next week. Since my DH has been home, I am spending most of my time with him. I am on his nightly schedule now. Take care my friend and have a great evening/weekend. May God Bless You and Yours.

Love & Hugs,
Karen H.

Michele said...

It does make one think. Very powerful point....

Mrs. G. said...

Nudge...you still there?

Anonymous said...

i remember a job during the dot.com boom where i slept under my desk a few nights and kept packets of oatmeal in my desk. pre-kids, of course.

makes you think, doesn't it?

Mike Golch said...

well,if you ask me if you look like you're working that can be enough for some companies.Wink,Wink!!

Grandy said...

Jenn~ I figured it was false...but still some interesting fiction.

Karen~ My name is Grandy, and I'm a workaholic.

Michele~ It's all about perspective.

Mrs. G~ Thanks for the nudge...I'm still here.

wreke~ We actually used to have a cot in an office at our old place... alas it's not there any longer.

Mike~ Hadn't quite mastered the pretend to work thing. ;)

Tina Coruth said...

Grandy,

True or not, this story is worth thinking about. It can apply to home life too. I've often told my husband that I hope if I suddenly dropped dead that I end up either blocking the refrigerator or on top of the tv remote. Otherwise, who knows how long it would be before he would discover I had departed. LOL

Tina

Grandy said...

Oooh Tina~ I'm sure he would notice if you weren't fixing dinner?? ;)

Anonymous said...

My word! That poor guy. And it's so sad no one from outside of work was frantic looking for him, either. So sad!

That's why I don't work! OMG, Mary, you genius. This is part of my master plan never to lift a finger in my life. I need to work it in somehow, but I love it! You go!

Anonymous said...

Jenn, It cannot be false. It's part of my master plan! Please do not say such things. =)

Grandy said...

Dre~ You are cracking me up girl!! Thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

Grandy,

Glad to hear this story is false! Could you imagine going to work for 30 years at the same company and not having one person say "hello" to you in five days--in an open-plan office, no less! That's what had me wondering!

Fascinating post, though!

Thanks for stopping by Writer's Notes today!

Sincerely,
Jeanne

Baldovin said...

man!
That is absolutely umbelieveble. Somethimes I ask myself if I am not already dead working and working...

Grandy said...

Baldovin~ Hang in there!!! :)