Sunday, March 3, 2013

Managing Expectations

For the most part, Grandy is very good at managing other peoples' expectations.  I try very hard not to disappoint folks, and work diligently at doing what I say I'm going to do.  At the same time, if someone is being unrealistic about their expectations, Grandy will be the first one to tell them too.

Here's an example:

Client says, "Grandy, do you think there's a chance the money will come this week?"
  • Knowing they had been working on getting their carrier to pay these funds for several months before they became our client, and now I have only been on this project for two weeks, I respond with...
Um...Let's put it this way...I'm not going to pee on your head and tell you it's raining. 

Granted, Grandy could have just used a simple "NO", or even gone as far as saying "HECK NO", but he wasn't hearing NO, or even the HECK NO part of the conversation.  The only thing that sank in was the pee comment.  Sad...but true.

When someone is in the midst of a "crisis", the worst thing to do is give them unrealistic expectations.  You can't promise that things will get done "by the end of the week", when you know darn well it's taken months to get to this point.  What can I promise?  An update by the end of the week.  And guess what...that update will be there.  It may not have the information you hoped for, but that was never promised.  Just an update.

It's kind of like trying to pretend you know something when you really don't.  People see through you, and there's nothing wrong with saying, "I don't know.  Let me check and get back to you."  They will respect you more in that case anyway, but some people just don't seem to get that and "fake it til they make it".  It's so frustrating!!

There are days that I want to stick my head right out the window and say, "Everybody just calm down and DO YOUR JOB". 

That said, Grandy is having a particular difficult time managing certain expectations this week.  Can you tell?  Whether it's the full moon, the long hours of endless phone calls, or the sheer timing, it's been difficult to be "Grandy" to all people. 

This week, Grandy is going back to basics.  Brutal honesty.  Setting boundaries.  Directing traffic. 

Big week ahead folks.  Lot's of expectations and people counting on me for many things.

Wish me luck!!!

1 comment:

Travis Cody said...

You know, sometimes you just have to look people in the eye and tell them to take a breath and sit down.

I have to tell myself to do that sometimes too.